Thursday 24 November 2011

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart



Here is a brilliant bit of what would you say, mainstream soul, I think I will stay clear of the P word.

This Holland-Dozzier-Holland composition was recorded in 1965 and released the following year when it reached number 9 in the Billboard charts joining the select club of Supremes songs penned by that illustious trio which didn't get to number one. For me it is right up there with the best and is probably the single I play most, either that or Come See About Me.

The Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart

3 comments:

Simon said...

Is brilliant, as is Come See About Me. I love The Supremes, I think Ross, while acknowledged as a superstar never gets enough praise for her voice (all the Supremes vocals actually), which as I get older is one of my favourite soul voices. I don't know if I've grown out of the belters and shouters, or if I've heard too many (Commitments, XFACTOR) trying to do it that way. Either way I much prefer the more subtle tones of Ross, or Warwick these days.

Swiss Adam said...

I agree- The Supremes are top notch.

davyh said...

I wish to associate myself with the views of the previous speakers.

Just one 'z' in Dozier boy - see me.