Tuesday 15 November 2011

Lazy Week pt 2



Well at least the performance review is over for another 6 months. I have no idea whether I am where I should be or not and anyway it's all arbitrary as there is a curve to follow and we can't have too many people doing well as that wouldn't fit in with whoever's bullshit theory the curve was, I'm sure I could find out if I really gave a toss. That's not to say I don't give a shit about my work, it's just all the bullshit that I can't be doing with.

Anyway,  back to the important stuff, Surfin' Bird is probably the maddest song ever and one that always puts a smile on my face. The song itself, borrows heavily from Papa Oom Mow Mow by The Rivingtons. It was released in 1963 in the US and got to number two. Apparently it was re released over here in 2009 and was also used in a campaign for stopping the last cack factor winner getting to number 1 last year. Both of which I was oblivious about.

The Cramps version was produced by Alex Chilton and was released in 1978. However the first version I ever remember hearing was the Ramones version which was on their third album Rocket To Russia.

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird

1 comment:

Mondo said...

First version I heard was on possibly one of the greatest (but released as a joke at the time) comps ever - Goofy Greats. Check the track list Tommy James, The Troggs, The Trashmen

I got it for Christmas 74-ish and thought the singer was Leonard Rossiter as Rigsby from Rising Damp