Monday 2 May 2011

Crazy, Mibbies Aye, Mibbies Naw!



I haven't mentioned the elections for the Scottish Parliament before as I haven't wanted to bore people to death and if you aren't from this part of the world it is totally irrelevant to you anyway but I am going to mention it briefly just to say that for the first time since I was able to vote, I am going to vote for a different party, a party I never thought I would ever vote for in a million years and the thing is I don't feel sad or troubled in any way I actually feel quite liberated as I no longer have to try and justify things like the war in Iraq, my party cosying up to Mr Murdoch, try to hide my total disgust in the hypocrite that is Dr John Reid or seethe that Trident is still based in my neighbourhood. My grandfather and my uncle Jimmy will probably be spinning in their graves as I type this, both being Red Clydesiders but times have changed and the colour of the flag is no longer red.

The first three lines of this song kind of sum up how I am feeling at the moment. However, no matter how crazy I finally end up I will never be seen reciting the words to that racist, dirge that is Flower Of Scotland.

Alice Russell - Crazy

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just cant bring myself to do what you're doing Comrade......especially as I live in a marginal.

George said...

Racist dirge? Excellent choice of words.

Scott said...

Completely agree with you Drew. Liberated is exactly how I feel, and it feels bloody good. There seems to be quite a few people I've spoken to who have also always voted for "the former working man's party" who are for the first time voting for a different party.