Tuesday 19 October 2010

Keeping It Peel, Number 7



Today's choice in my Peel session is by "the boy Gedge", another favourite of Peel's who recorded 22 sessions, combining The Wedding Present and Cinerama appearances.

The amount of sessions meant that I was spoilt for choice when it came to picking a track, first of all should it be the Weddoes or Cinerama?  Should I pick one of Gedge's original compositions, one of his wonderful interpretations of other people's work, bizarrely including a track by faux Russian lesbians tATu, or one of the Ukranian folk songs.

After long deliberation I've chosen something from the 12th and final Wedding Present session mainly due to the fact that the track comes from the album which I play more than any other Wedding Present album these days Take Fountain the album Gedge decided to resurrect The Wedding Present after a 7 year hiatus. Some of the tracks which would appear on this album were previewed during the final 2 Cinerama sessions in June 2003 and January 2004.

Peel himself when airing  final session said "Well, I think that this session has been as good as anything they've done over the years" and I for one am not going to argue with the man.

The Wedding Present session 12 recorded 22nd July 2004, aired 21st September 2004

Tracklisting: Blue Eyes, Ringway To Seatac, Shivers, Queen Anne and White Horses.

The Wedding Present - Ringway To Seatac

2 comments:

TH said...

Got to say again that Take Fountain and Torino are Gedge's best collection of songs.

drew said...

N R - I agree with you about Take Fountain.