Tuesday 22 January 2013

That's Just Fucking Typical!



I had been looking for a decent copy of my second favourite version of Louie Louie for quite some time, over ten years,  so last month when one became available on Discogs, I thought that Christmas had come, well it had really but to tell you the truth I was more excited about finally getting my hands on this single more than the celebration of the birth of the son of the Lord.

When the single arrived I inspected it and although not in mint condition I would say that it was a vg or maybe once I cleaned it up it would be a vg +. So I put it on the Technics dropped the needle and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of surface noise. Brilliant I thought but as the tune started I was sure that I could here a faint click and as the song went on I was sure of it,  there was definitely a click, not loud granted but it was there.

As soon as it finished I took the vinyl off the turntable to check it out and on first look nothing it looked fine but on closer inspection above the middle of the U in Columbia was a hairline crack. Damn,  blast and jeepers were not the words that came from my mouth on finding this.

The first thing I did was put the record back on the deck and record both sides before the clicking got worse.

Then I sent an email to Blackprineiv in NYC who I had purchased the single from, who really couldn't have been fairer, within a couple of hours he had responded and gave me a full refund. Which was great but really doesn't make up for the cruelty of eventually finding a copy of the single but which cannot be played without doing more damage to the vinyl and the stylus.

Alas, my search goes on for a vg, at least,  copy of the second most covered song in pop music.

Paul Revere And The Raiders - Louie, Louie

No comments: