Sunday 8 April 2012

Easter Parade



I think that it's only fitting to give this track another airing, what with the 30th anniversary of the Falklands Conflict being all over the news this past week and also the fact that it is Easter Sunday.

I watched Max Hastings piece about the conflict last Sunday, which got me reaching for my copy of Don't Cry For Me Sergeant Major, as his recollections of his participation differs slightly from what I remember being written in that book and I think I may also revisit  "A Soldier's Song", to further remind me of my brother's regiment's role in the conflict over the coming weeks.

At the time I was in second year in high school and got into a couple of fights and even more arguments over what seemed to me at the time as a hyping up of nationalistic fervour for islands that very few of us knew existed before the start of April 1982. I will also never forget the front page of the Sun the day after the sinking of the Belgrano for bringing to the fore all that was wrong with Britain at that time.

I feel that I need to add, that I never had anything but support for the Airmen, Sailors and Infantry sent down there, they were doing what the military had to do, enduring conditions nobody should have to put up with and which I certainly could not have endured.  As for John Knott, Margaret Thatcher, Henry Leach and the rest of the old men in suits that sent them there, well contempt doesn't really express what I felt at the time and still do. Also the justification that the conflict saw the demise of a dictatorship in South America doesn't really cut it when we weren't calling for democracy in Chile where Mrs Thatcher's pal, Pinochet was in charge.

But enough of the politics this song means a lot to me for a whole different reason which has been explained before here .

The Faith Brothers - Easter Parade

1 comment:

Swiss Adam said...

Agree with pretty much every word Drew. I was 12 when the Falklands War started- remember it as the first political event I really followed and found the whole thing wrong.