Thursday 7 September 2017

Oh Shadie




Back in 2002 I remember reading a review of an album in one of the music magazines that I still bought back then, it may have been Q but I doubt it as if it had a picture of Bonzo on the cover or an article relating whatever he and his wee pals were up to that month and most of the time that amounted to nothing but they still seemed to feature in the magazine, I refused to buy it, so the chances are low., Anyway what attracted me initially to the review was the band's name The Warlocks, which immediately rang bells as this was an early name used by Reed and Cale and on reading the review the album Phoenix was described in favourable terms to The Velvet Underground and Spacemen 3, with Sonic Boom collaborating on one of the tracks. I was sold and duly bought the album. There wasn't a great deal in the way of psych rock floating about back then and I flogged this album to death but strangely never bought anything else by the band, not sure why.

As you may have picked up I am quite partial to a bit of the drone and the longer and weirder the better so here is the final track from the album. I will warn you, it does go on for quite a while but that is part of it's appeal.

The Warlocks - Oh Shadie

5 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Yep- good that.

The Swede said...

Blimey - this is fantastic.

Brian said...

Weird and wonderful. Hearing a few bands that might have been into these guys... even the Luxembourg Signal a bit.

drew said...

The whole album is great guys.

mistah cheetham said...

You got lucky - the warlocks was an early Grateful Dead name - that would have been a disappoinment, whereas this is rather jolly