Tuesday 28 September 2010

Thanks Mr H



Over at The Ghost of Electricity, Davy has posted a rather lovely version of Early Morning Rain by Richard Hawley from one of the Starbucks Valentine compilations which I'm sure were only available in the States.

Anyway I was lost as to what to post today, so many thanks to Mr H, as he has given me an idea.

From 2002 to 2005 when I was office bound I used to listen to KEXP, Seattle a lot. At that time there was no such thing as 6 music or at least I hadn't heard of it and KEXP was the only radio station that I could find that appealed to my taste and also I didn't have to listen to the inane drivel of Chris (what I know about music can be written on the back of a postage stamp) Moyles.

The station got me listening to a lot of things that I wouldn't have necessary listened to otherwise, such as The Be Good Tanya's, Ted Leo and The Pharmacists and Cloud Cult to name but three. As I've mentioned before the Jon In The Morning Show, which we actually get in the afternoon has possible the most eclectic and best mix of music it is possible to hear on a show which goes out at that peak time.

Anyway, Jon kept playing this version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out by Joseph Arthur. Try as I might I could not find this track anywhere and eventually had to email Jon to find out how I could get a hold of it. I was informed that it was on a Starbucks compilation which I then found out was not available outwith the US.  After quite a while searching I eventually managed to track down an mp3 of the track but to this day still don't own the cd.

There have now been three of these compilations all with different indie artists covering their favourite love songs none of which were available outwith the US for some odd reason.

Joseph Arthur - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

2 comments:

davyh said...

Always glad to be of use Drewster.

Cap said...

Other good tracks on this comp:
Calexico does a good "Love Will Tear Us Apart", and M Ward's cover of "Let My Love Open the Door" is pretty good.