Tuesday 28 May 2013

Not One For The Purists part 2



I am always going on about music that shouldn't be covered which is mainly any soul music from the 1960s, as I don't think that anybody kicking about today can do any justice to the back catalogue of the likes of Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Aretha Franklin et al. Amy Winehouse could just about do it but unfortunately she's no longer around. Let's not get started on Michel Fucking Bolton!

However, when it comes to the re-fit, re-edit, remix what ever you want to call it that's a different story. I know that lots of people think that these tracks should not be fucked about with but I beg to differ. Whether it's Pilooski, re-editing Frankie Valli  or Dee Edwards, Lulu Rouge taking on Little Willie John or what White Label did with Plane by the Supremes, I can't wait to hear what these people do with the tracks and most of the time it's complimentary and makes you go back to the original with a new perspective.

A couple of weeks I got my hands on a 12" of soul edits by Pillowtalk where they rework classic soul from Bobby Hebb, The Festivals and Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell. The mix of Sunny is very good, I'm not that keen on the Festivals track but I wasn't that taken by the original either. The edit of "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" is brilliant it has been stretched out to over 8 minutes and has been turned into a disco/house hybrid that I would think is guaranteed to fill dance floors. It has been played that often over the last couple of weeks that both boys are walking about singing "ain't nothing like the real thing baby, ain't nothing like the real thing" over and over.

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby (Pillowtalk edit)

No comments: