Monday 2 August 2010

Our Lips Are Sealed



Swiss Adam posted The Fun Boy Three last night and as soon as I saw the post this song popped into my mind not the superior Fun Boy Three version but this rather anaemic version by the Go-Go's.

The song was written by Terry Hall and Jane Wiedlin and is the first track on the Go-Go's album, The Beauty And The Beat. In 2000 Rolling Stone put this in their top 100 Greatest Pop Songs Ever, the song is good but not that good, I could probably list a hundred Motown and Stax songs which are superior to this (no offence Terry), which just reinforces my view that Rolling Stone was always shit.

I had a mate at school, whose dad ordered Rolling Stone from John Menzies (we're talking the mid 80's) and remember reading it and thinking, this is pish, then again the guy mentioned did have albums by Melanie and the Grateful Dead and on their annual  two week vacation  to Florida would tape Radio M.O.R or whatever the fuck it was called   and B would make me sit and listen to it upon his return which was always a joy and just reinforced my love of Billy Bragg and Roddy Frame, but I digress.

The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed 

and when we're on the subject of go-go girls

Frightened Rabbit - Go-Go Girls

10 comments:

exilestreet said...

...and what is wrong with the Dead?
Don't answer that!
Regards/

davyh said...

Quite right too. I do always enjoy your use of the word 'pish'.

exilestreet said...

Isn't Pish that other jamband?

drew said...

Good Birthday weekend Mr H?

I do like the word pish.

Mona - where to start with the Dead. I once went to a wedding and some guy was trying to do the Jedi Mind trick on me, "you do like the Grateful Dead, move along", it was rather funny

exilestreet said...

Drew - I have to confess that I do like the Dead...they were about 5 different bands over their existence...It was only recently that I listened to anything post 77 tho. Live they can be astonishing, their studio stuff never really did them justice.
Regards/

Jim said...

I reckon the best cover of OLAS is by the Soupdragons (when they were still a C86 guitar band, before they went all trancey). They did it as a Peel session track - dunno if it's available anywhere....

Simon said...

Our Lips Are Sealed is one of my top ten songs. I've played it as a cover in pretty much every band I've ever been in. I love the Fb3 versh, but the GoGos versh has a special place in my heart, a lot of great associations, and I just love the sound of it. I think its a great slice of power pop. FB3's has a more original sound and Terry, but those sunny harmonies do it for me.

Id put off posting about it, but I've been thinking doing some top tens so I may get rund to it.

Swiss Adam said...

I like the Go Go's version, but prefer FB3. 7" has the Hindi version on the b-side which is good too. Nice to have started something off...

Unknown said...

Inevitably, a somg this good has had a Gedge cover.

And quite brilliant it is too....

dickvandyke said...

Belinda looks a bit thin.