Tuesday 9 December 2014

It's Christmas So We'll Stop



I have always loved the choral version of this rather bleak Christmas offering from the Frabbits but I fear that from now on the tune will forever be associated with the passing of Baxter.

On Saturday we decided as a kind of diversionary tactic for the kids to go and get the Christmas tree, a couple of weeks too early for my liking but if it cheered the boys up so be it.  We went down the valley to one of the farms/garden centers and chose a rather fine 8 foot tree, don't ask me what kind as I don't have a clue.

On our return I was beginning to get into the festive spirit a bit and decided to dig out a few seasonal records out of the boxes stored in the cupboard, It's Christmas So We'll Stop being top of the list. I duly put it on and looked around for Leo as for the past couple of years he has enthusiastically if not tunefully joined in with this record. He wasn't in the dining room so I went looking only to find him sitting half way up the stairs sobbing uncontrollably. I went up and hugged him and between sobs he explained that he was really missing Baxter and Spike, his brother who we had to have put down a while ago now. I tried to explain that Baxter had been really ill and it was the best thing for him as now he was no longer in any pain, none of which was of any consolation. He eventually calmed down to the sounds of the Spector Christmas album followed by Springsteen's rendition of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. Later on in the evening I put the Frightened Rabbit tune on again and the tears began to flow again. So I don't think that the choral version of the song will be getting much of an airing in this household this Christmas.

Frightened Rabbit - It's Christmas So We'll Stop (Choral version)


5 comments:

Simon said...

Ah bless. When I was a little bit older than your Leo, Christmas 76 my grandmother died, and it was hot on the heels really of the grandad on the other side of the family going. When A Child Is Born takes me back to that completely, cannot stand to listen to it. Strangely though it was my mum's favourite Christmas tune, she always had to put it on while she was doing the Christmas dinner. And now she's gone that's another reason to not listen.

Pets are funny things aren't they? My next birthday after that my mum bought me a cat, and she was around for nearly 20 years after that. I miss the cat sometimes more than I ever missed the grandparents!

Simon said...

'she was around for nearly 20 years after that' - she was the cat. Called Pawses by my little sister.

Swiss Adam said...

Sad blog. Hope he's ok.

Dirk said...

Jesus Christ, Drew, perhaps you should mention in the text that you are talking about CATS!! I was shocked like mad at first sight, not knowing who Baxter and Spike ("his brother") possibly may have béen ...

drew said...

I nearly sprayed my tea all over the keyboard Dirk. Thanks for cheering me up a bit.