Thursday 28 November 2013

Bloody Luton!



I am in Luton today.  Should really be grateful as everybody else was also here yesterday. I was given a reprise as I had a long standing appointment with the Bard of Barking last night at the Royal Concert Hall, which is a bit grand for the likes of Bragg. He was a) excellent or b) good*.  So I am tired and filled with revolutionary fervour!

Last month saw the 30th anniversary of Life's A Riot With Spy vs Spy and to celebrate Bragg released a remastered version of the mini album, side one being the remasters of the original and side two being a live run through of all the tunes as the second encore at a gig in London earlier this year.

Here is the live version from the Union Chapel gig of the song that first brought Billy to my attention all those years ago when he performed it on the Tube.

Billy Bragg - To Have And To Have Not (Live 05-06-13)

* this was written just before leaving for the concert, so the rating is dependent on how much of Tooth & Nail gets an airing.

4 comments:

Charity Chic said...

I'm only guessing Drew but I'm willing to bet that this isn't the first time you've used that heading for a post!

Charity Chic said...

Also - there are two types of people in this world -those who like Billy Bragg and those who don't. I strongly recommend folk to steer well clear of the latter

dickvandyke said...

He loves it really, cc.
The vibrancy, diversity, architecture, culture, people, potholes, the attractive legacy of disused factories, the Hat Museum.

Go easy on the way home, drew. Esp careful if stopping off for a donner and chili sauce.

And don't be singing 'I don't want to change the world, but I'm looking for to Nuke Luton' in the Kenilworth TravelTavern after a few shandies.

george said...

Does Luton have a Museum of Underpants?