Tuesday 31 August 2010

Tommy Bolin


As I alluded to a couple of months ago, when I was a youngster I had a fondness for what was then called Heavy Metal. The big influence was my older cousin Stuart who was into all of that stuff and by the time I was in 2nd year at high school he had already taken me to see Whitesnake, UFO and Motorhead at the legendary Glasgow Apollo.

By this time however I had moved away from the NWOBHM to the older hippy shit of Hendrix, Love and Janis Joplin through the influence of a couple of 5th year guys I started hanging about with. They also got me into later day Deep Purple. I had never been the biggest fan of Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Gillan et al but Jim reassured me as he gave me the Come Taste The Band album that this was different and he was right, out went all of the pomp and theatrics associated with Blackmore and in it's place were some funky riffs and some restrained vocals from David Coverdale.

I decided to find out more about Tommy Bolin and discovered that he had OD'd the year after this album had been produced, 1976 at the age of twenty five. He had produced 2 solo albums Teaser and Private Eyes which both showed how versatile a guitar player Bolin was and what a waste of talent.

Not the normal sort of thing that is posted on this blog but here is my favourite track of Bolin's Teaser album.

 Tommy Bolin - Wild Dogs

No comments: