Sunday 31 May 2009

Somfay



I have been listening to a lot of electronic music over the past couple of months as most of the indie/guitar stuff with the exception of the Wave Pictures new album and the Meursault ep I have heard recently at best can be described as boring. Somebody prove me wrong.

I keep coming back to a track by Somfay called Fricative White (From A Whisper To A Scream). The track is quite a curiosity as there are no discernible instruments and really no tune. It is basically made up from layers of noise building upon layers of noise to produce a hypnotic track which echoes around your head long after the track has finished.

At 27 : 47 mins long, it does ask for a bit of commitment, however once you get into it, it is really hard to believe that it is that long, as the sounds totally suck you in and you are soon lost in the music/noise.

I usually have it on just as soon as I can after take of on a plane, as it calms me right down, which is no mean feat as anybody who has ever flown with me will testify; flying scares the shit out of me.

I hope that the length and mention of noise hasn't put you off, give it a try. It is a strangely haunting and beautiful collage of sound (how fucking pretentious does that sound?)

Go on give it a listen!

Somefay - Fricative White (From A Whisper To A Scream)

6 comments:

Simon said...

Sounds like it might be just up my street. I've had Eno's Thursday Afternoon on this week, an hour long piece of ambient, alongside Boards Of Canada.

Meanwhile, if you've ever been a Madness fan check out their new album, it's damn good, especially the 22 track deluxe version. There's a song on the album called Africa which just might be the best thing Madness have ever done.

Ctelblog said...

Sounds interesting.

drew said...

Well guys, what do you think?

Simon said...

That's damn good. It does sit alongside Boards Of Canada rather nicely. There's something of Weatherall days with Primal Scream, mixed up My Bloody Valentine. I'm going to have to get that on my ipod and listen while I'm out and about. Very impressive indeed.

Ctelblog said...

I adored this. It really insinuates its way into your head. Lovely nighttime listening.

a Tart said...

rats! I can't get it... have I come too late, it sounds like I'd love it :(

xoox