Wednesday 20 May 2009

Go Now



Does anybody remember a short series of films on BBC 2 in 1995 called Love Bites, I think?

I think there were three of them. They were all either music related or had great soundtracks, at least the two I remember did.

One was called Loved Up and concerned the lives of 2 pilled up ravers. I bought the double album soundtrack of this , for what reason I don't know as I already had all of the tracks bar a couple on 12".

The better film by far, Go Now, starred Robert Carlyle, Juliet Aubrey and Jimmy Nesbitt before he became famous. The story revolved round a couple and their attempts to come to terms with one of them being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The story was both touching and extremely funny at times, especially the banter between Carlyle and his Sunday League football team mates. The film was set in Bristol and Tricky had a cameo in it.

I taped all of these films and had an urge to watch Go Now last night, until I remembered that a few months ago in a moment of stupidity I decided to clear out the glory hole where all the junk is stored and take the contents to the cowp (refuse yard in English). This included all of the videos we owned, reasoning that as we no longer had a video recorder, there was no need to keep the videos. Bugger! Thank god I didn't use this reasoning with the boxes of tapes.

Anyway, here is the theme tune to Go Now in it's original form belted out by Bessie Banks. No matter how many times I hear this the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck and my heart skips a beat, an absolutely beautiful record.

Bessie Banks - Go Now

3 comments:

swissadam said...

I'd forgotten all about them, but remember them quite clearly now. Good tv. Top track too. Ta.

Imposs1904 said...

beautiful song.

david said...

That's just stunning. I've spent years wondering how the awful Moody Blues managed to come up with something so wonderful - and now I know (they didn't!).
Thanks again - love your blog mister!