Wednesday 13 May 2009

Lazy Line Painter Jane



The sun has been shining here for 3 whole days. It is amazing the difference a little sunshine has on people. Everybody seems a little less tense, a little more relaxed. Long may it continue.

I haven't been able to get this song out of my head all day. It's my favorite Belle and Sebastian tune. It was the 2nd ep by the band, was released in 1997 and got to number 41 in the charts. The female vocal is by Monica Queen once of the band Thrum and now a solo artist.

Belle & Sebastian - Lazy Line Painter Jane

The video below is from the day when the band and others including Camera Obscura and V Twin took over the Botanic Gardens in Glasgow during the West End festival. It was a gorgeous sunny Saturday in June 2004 and it just happened to be M's first concert, aged 8 months.

6 comments:

Simon said...

We've just lost the sunshine, but I've had a couple of the Belle's albums on repeat play this past week because of it.

I'm still not sure if I love them or only like them. Still the quietest band I've ever seen live.

drew said...

I'm the same, don't know if they are great or just good. I find the albums rather patchy especially the last couple but with some brilliant tunes.

Scottish Friction said...

one of my favourite bands likesy!

lazy painter jane is stunning.
saw them perform at the Ross Bandstand in Princes St. they killed :P

swissadam said...

Love this song, like lots of stuff by them and enjoyed the recent poppier stuff. But can easily go months without thinking about listening to them. One of my favourites is This Is Just A Modern Rock Song (is that what its called?) Builds really slwoly and quitely for 4 or 5 minutes before the vox come in. Ace.

Artog said...

The first time I saw Belle & Sebastian was at the Albert Hall and they totally filled the space (and we were right at the top, almost touching the ceiling). I'd never heard Lazy Line Painter Jane before and they did it as an encore: Monica Queen's voice was just incredible. It's a shame she's never really done anything else.

drew said...

Artog - you should check out Rifferama by Thrum and 10 Sorrowful Memories by Monica Queen both good but very different.