Tuesday 17 February 2009

A Little Bit of Positivity



I am sick of turning on the the radio or opening the newspaper to be confronted with doom and gloom at every turn. I have therefor decreed that nothing but positive happy tunes will be emanating from the kitchen table this week. I have not decided to stick my head in the sand but rather have time out from all the negativity out there and also hopefully purge me of my overwhelming desire to inflict lingering pain to any board members of RBS or HBOS I come across or Robert Peston for that matter.

First up is a band that I was not aware of until I heard this single back in 1997. It was the sample that first got my attention, it's from another northern soul floor filler, Dobie Gray's Out On The Floor which should have elicited the response "how dare they sample a classic like that", however what follows is just under 4 minutes of brilliant uplifting indie pop which I do rather approve of.

Spearmint - Sweeping The Nation

3 comments:

Mondo said...

There's a touch of My Life Story about that - who are Southenders like me, we used to gig with them regularly in their early days - and have interband football matches around 87

Rol said...

I love Spearmint, this song in particular. I don't know if you're aware that their next release will be a solo album from lead singer Shirley Lee (with the rest of the band still playing). They hope that a change of focus / name might bring them a little more attention.

drew said...

Didn't know that Rol but will investigate further.