Monday 2 February 2009

Fifty Fucking Million for a Picture



Today the Scottish Government gave 12.5 million of tax payers money as part of a 50 million price tag for a picture to one of the wealthiest men in the UK.

I cannot express the anger that I feel towards this move when in Scotland we have some of the poorest areas in the UK and people are losing their jobs, the Scottish Executive in their infinite wisdom are giving money to chinless wonders for works of art which were most probably procured in a less than honest fashion. I know that 12.5 million is not a great deal in the scheme of things but when you are struggling to pay your mortgage, feed your children or heat your home it must piss you off to see a needy aristocrat given that sort of money out of the public purse.

I am no philistine and believe that art has it's place in society but this is taking the piss. It's not even that good a painting and yes I have seen it in the National Gallery, granted not of my own volition.

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

No comments: