Thursday 12 February 2009

Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't I?


Since it seems to be new music week in our little corner of of the blogisphere, I thought i would join JC and Davy H and post on something that was new to me last November but apparently wasn't that fresh as the lady in question has toured with loads of people and appeared on Later with Jools Holland which I haven't really watched for a few years now, probably not since the Fall were on it.

Anyway, Imelda May is a Jazz and Rockabilly singer from Ireland who has been on the go since 2003. She has toured with the likes of Dionne Warwick, Elvis Costello, the afore mentioned smug bastard Holland and Elton John but don't let that put you off. She released her first solo album Love Tattoo late last year. The album has a mixture of influences from Ella Fitzgerald to Patsy Cline and Wanda Jackson and to these ears was just what the doctor ordered after overdosing on pasty boys and girls in skinny jeans doing the "indie" thing. She is also extremely attractive and could hold here own against any of the Ghost of Electricity's "indie poppets" but as we know that is just superficial and you would never catch any of us earnest bloggers indulging in such shallow, sexist wishful thinking.

I have tickets to see her and her band on Sunday night at King Tut's, which I'm looking forward to and which will no doubt be mentioned in later dispatches.

Imelda May - Big Bad Handsome Man

and as a further treat, in the same vein

Kitty, Daisy and Lewis - Going Up Country

9 comments:

Simon said...

Personally I'm more fond of types such as this than the indie poppets. She has a great voice. Actually reminds me a little of Carmel when she's more singing more sultry; but the more rocking vocals she does are pretty damn cool too.

drew said...

Carmel. good shout, I knew she reminded me of somebody.

davyh said...

Kitty, Daisy & Lewis! I have got to catch them live!

Simon said...

A google search tells me that Kitty Daisy & Lewis are the children of the drummer of The Raincoats.

I think that's cool; but it also makes me feel a little old...

davyh said...

Kinell. You best fetch me the bathchair pronto.

drew said...

Yes we are old gits

Sonic Reducer said...

Hi there!
Imelda is not discovering the fire, but her voice and intention are really nice.
Beautiful blog.
Greetings from Mexico City.

ally. said...

cor smashing - i'm mighty partial to a rockin gal and the very mention of wanda jackson is enough to get me twirling...

not only is her out of the raincoats that lots mum but she plays with them and their dad does too.
x

dickvandyke said...

I'm rubbing my corderoys too!