Friday 15 June 2018

It's Friday . . . Let's Dance



This is where it all started with dance music for me, with the aptly titled "The House Music Anthem". This was the first import 12" single that I ever bought and it cost me a pretty penny in 1987 from Fopp when it was the tiny wee shop on Renfield Street. I had just finished school, was heading to Uni in Aberdeen but working on building sites in Glasgow for the summer earning and spending a fortune. From the first time I heard "Move Your Body" I loved it, the overcrowded, echoey vocals, the synth stabs and the sheer repetitiiveness of it. Once I moved up to Aberdeen it was one track that I requested from the DJ at the RGIT Union every Friday/Saturday and again in the Pelican Club later on. Madonna was right when she said "Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free" As we all used to go mad on the dancefloor to these new, mechanical, repetitive beats and nobody gave a fuck how you danced because nobody had a clue how to dance to it anyway, One of the best things about the early house music was that it seemed to evolve on a weekly basis, nothing ever got a chance to get stale. However, that doesn't mean that the music was throwaway, it could be just nostalgia but listening to all three of the versions of this last night all sounded brilliantr to me.

Sorry for the crackles but this 12" single has seen a lot of play over the intervening 31 years! Christ on a bike!

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body (Body mix)

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body (House Music Anthem)

Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body (Move mix)

2 comments:

Coke said...

Tuuunnnneeeee!!!!

Swiss Adam said...

What Coke said.