Tuesday 9 September 2014

Go Easy Big Cuz

I thought long and hard about this post and came to the conclusion that although nobody reading this thing will have a clue about the person I'm talking about I decided that I should acknowledge his passing.

On Sunday night I got a phone call from my mother  relaying the news that one of my cousins had died of a heart attack earlier in the day. The news was quite shocking due to the fact that he was only fifty. I hadn't seen him for some time, even though he lived only 7 miles from me . The last time I had actually seen him he walked straight past me not even acknowledging my existence, there had been a fall out a few years previously.

Strangely when I think about him now, I actually didn't know him at all, although when I was young I kind of looked up to him due to the fact that he took me to my first ever gigs and him and his sister had spent a considerable amount of time round our bit when the shit hit the fan at their house. As he grew older we saw less and less of him and eventually only at family things if he even turned up.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that he was a great guy and I have loads of wonderful memories,  over the past few years when I have thought about him at all it made me angry,  not filled me with great memories of the past but he did take me to my first ever gig, Motorhead at the legendary Glasgow Apollo when I was thirteen and a half dozen other concerts and for that I will be forever grateful and in future I will try to remember the generosity of spirit and time he had then towards me more than the angry and at times spiteful person that I witnessed in later life.

Motorhead - Leaving Here

6 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Tough times Drew. Generosity of spirit is important.

Charity Chic said...

You can choose your friends ...........

Scott said...

A post that, I think, a lot of people will relate to Drew.

george said...

As CC and Scott say, Drew. But it makes you think about your life, people you have known and know.
Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

We've all, I think, been there in terms of falling out with family or friends, and previously held views of someone change for the worse.

But if they've gone forever then it is best to reflect, as you are doing, as much as possible on those things that made the person so special in the first place.

A very open and honest piece Drew.

dickvandyke said...

Good work, Drew. Respect to you.
All that 'never had a bad word for anybody' / 'happy-go-lucky' type stuff is, largely, bollocks. (I bet even Mother Teresa had off days!)

x