Thursday 25 August 2011

Duke Special



I don't really have a lot to say about Duke Special. I bought the album Songs From The Deep Forest out of curiosity. I had heard a bit about Peter Wilson's songwriting and unconventional orchestration, his percussionist uses cheese graters, egg whisks and the like but up until buying the cd I had never actually heard him.

So one day while wandering around Fopp and with nothing else catching my eye I decided to take a punt on the album and was quite happy with the result. Although to be honest after playing it quite a few times in the first couple of weeks, it was filed away and has rarely seen the tray of the cd player. However I have never had to fast forward any of the tracks when they have come up on random on the mobile jukebox.

Last Night I Nearly Died is the standout track from the album for me but from the first play I have always thought that it was vaguely familiar especially the start but have never been able to pinpoint what it reminds me of.

Duke Special - Last Night I Nearly Died

10 comments:

adam said...

Is it 'Freedom' by Wham?

I like the fact that you only have to look at the title of your posts on a blogroll to know if it's a bit of Northern.

drew said...

Why is that Adam, because of the label scans? I love looking at all those old labels.

adam said...

No, it's the names of the tracks! You're right, the old labels are lovely but you see a post called "It Really Hurts Me Girl" and know what it's going to be without knowing the song :)

drew said...

Very true, most of the time the titles do give it away.

howdoesthatonegoagain said...

I played that Duke Special album loads when I got it and now it's gathering dust. Must dig it out....

Saw him live and to be honest it put me off a bit - just a bit affected and I couldn't shake the notion he was some sort of be-dreadlocked-Mick-Hucknall-mini-me!

His recording of some tracks of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks with the Inishowen Gospel Choir are worth tracking down. Tears to a glass eye and all that.

g.

Unknown said...

He came to visit somebody on the ward I work recently, was a bit star struck to be honest! I said to the girls, "There's Duke Special", they said "who?" Was disgusted!! Ashamed to say never seen him live, and he plays loads in Belfast!!

drew said...

Deadboy - will be over in your neck of the woods thurs/fri. I feeel a trip to Head wil be on the cards.

Unknown said...

I'm off Friday, if you've got time and the gods of childcare are smiling we could meet for a skinny latte! (I can't drink during the day, I fall into a coma!!)

drew said...

Would love to, unfortunately not got any free time, study closedown which will take me all day then a rush back to Aldergrove. Will give you a shout next time I'm over.

Unknown said...

No Problem Drew, have currently house full of vomiting children, so probably wouldn't go down to well with my wife!!