Tuesday 14 July 2009

I Knew These People




Today's track is a bit of a curiosity. I say track but it is really a scene from one of my favorite films which was included in it's entirety on the soundtrack album.

Paris Texas was a film directed by Wim Wenders from a story written by Sam Shepherd and starring Harry Dean Stanton. At it's basics it is the story of an amnesiac who has reappeared after 4 years and of his attempt to make sense of what happened and try to reconcile his family on his return. The film is beautifully shot and has some wonderful performances notably Harry Dean Stanton and Dean Stockwell. Or as one of my less discerning friends once said, "self indulgent, chin stroking pish".

I've never been a great fan of Ry Cooder's music but I don't think that this film would have half the impact without the harsh, jarring sound of his steel guitar and especially the acoustic Spanish guitar which breaks in half way through the track posted and which turns an already emotional scene into a heartbreaking one.

Enjoy.

Ry Cooder - I Knew These People

2 comments:

Kippers said...

Haven't seen this film for absolutely yonks. It's a good 'un though, for sure; as is the atmospheric soundtrack; as are Nastassja Kinski's looks!

swissadam said...

Not sure how often I'll listen to this outside the context of the film, but good post Drew. Nice to see how a comment elsewhere leads to an idea which leads to a post...