Monday 19 January 2009

What's happening?




It is hard to believe from some of his latest scribblings in the Guardian, eg " Why Freddie Mercury Is A Punk Rock Icon", that Alan McGee was once relevant in the music industry and had a knack of signing interesting and exciting bands, no I am not referring to Oasis but rather the Pastels, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Teenage Fanclub and My Bloody Valentine to name but a few. If interested in the Creation story you should invest in the rather excellent My Magpie Eyes are Hungry for the Prize.

The second single I ever bought on Creation records was What's Happening by Jasmine Minks. Clocking in at 1:50 seconds, it's all thrashy guitars and shouty vocals just what you need on a Monday to chase away the blues.

It really is a pity that McGee turned into such a twat. If any more evidence were needed here is a quote from 2007 - "Bloody nonsense. My Bloody Valentine were my comedy band. Ride were different - they were a rock band, really, a fantastic rock band - but My Bloody Valentine were a joke, my way of seeing how far I could push hype."

Jasmine Minks - What's Happening

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay- viva old Creation. Agree with you completely about McGee. Does anyone outside of his own skull take any notice of what he says anymore?

Unknown said...

Luke Haines, in his book 'Bad Bibes', has a few choice word to offer on oor Alan.

Echorich said...

Alan McGee - schoolboy McLaren with no clue...