Thursday 16 June 2016

Koolaid Acid Tape



At the weekend I thought that I would listen to some tapes as it has been some time since I used it. A few years ago I took a punt on this album by Koolaid (Global Tyranny) the cover caught my attention and also the name, bringing back memories of reading the Electric Koolaid Acid Test and the likes when I was a teenager. Anyway the album was well worth the gamble and has been played often since. Along with the Lp and cd, a compilation tape called the Koolaid Acid Tape was part of the package. I listened to the tape once and then threw it into one of the wine boxes full of cassettes. So I dug it out had a listen and decided to rip it for you all to give it a listen.

I listened to quite a few tapes on Saturday and was amazed at some of the pish mixtapes I bought in the early 90s. Not compilation tapes but mix tapes in the proper sense of the word, tapes of dj sets, there are a couple that bear the name David Holmes and more than a few of Andy Weatherall. I say bearing the name, as on listening I am not sure that I can be certain that they are by who they say they are, a couple such as Weatherall at The Rhumba Club in Edinburgh, yes  but others I wouldn't stick any money on. There were also loads of Essential Mixes, I remember going through a phase during 93 - 94 when I would set the timer on the stereo and tape these every week and so there are mixes from Brothers In Rhythm, Snap, Dave Clarke and many more., There were also quite a few tapes given to me by a Virgin A&R man who was a parent at my mothers school. I may have to feature some of these in the coming weeks.

Koolaid Acid Tape

Side 1

Side 2

Tracklist

Californians - The Cooks Of Cakes and Kindness/Cryan' Shames - Greenburg, Glickstein,  Charles David Smith and Jones/Nick Nicely - Hilly Fields/Vibrasonic - Kingsley J/Monkees - Daily Nightly/Fever Tree - Where Do You Go?/Godz - Radar Eyes/West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - A Child of A Few Hours Is Burning To Death/Pretty Things - Eve Of Destruction/50 Foot Hose - Red The Signpost/JJ Light - Indian Disneyland/Julian Cope - I've Got My TV & My Pills

Music Emporium - Nam Myo Renge Kyo/Steve Hillage - 8 Miles High/Byrds - Child Of The Universe/Time & Space Machine - Reeling/Juan Trip - Robots and Space Chips/Demons of Negativity - Resurrection/101 Strings - Flame Out/Kim Fowley - Strangers From The Sky/Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.

Enjoy this trip



1 comment:

psorb40 said...

Hi Drew

Any chance of a re-post? all the best
phil