Friday 28 January 2011

Lilac Wine



I will not be imbibing tonight on account of having to drive into the town to see Allo Darlin' in the Captain's Rest. But may I suggest something sweet and heady for the rest of you drunkards out there.

I promise that this is the first and last time Jeff Beck appears on this blog. It could have been worse it could have been the Elkie Brooks version which I had to endure during my childhood my mother being a fan of Elkie's and once a record went on the music center in the living room it stayed there for months if not years.

I will however have not a word said against Pearl's A Singer. She stands up when she plays the piano, you know.

Have a good weekend people.

Jeff Beck feat Imelda May - Lilac Wine

7 comments:

swiss adam said...

Have a good night Drew. I ahve some reservations about lilac wine. And Jeff beck as well.

Mondo said...

I'm not sure if I'll be scooping tonight. Went to see Chas Hodges at The Railway last night (he plays sitting down) - so slightly fuggy.

You can grab some early doors Elkie here along with Dave Essex doing Northern

davyh said...

Read my lips: NINA SIMONE.

George said...

I'm curious about this one. As you said, all I can think of is Elkie Brooks.
All the best

Anonymous said...

Jeff Buckley on Grace?

Anonymous said...

Elkie Brooks version of "Lilac Wine is sooooo the best version.

drew said...

Anonymous - after listening to it again when doing this post I have to agree with you the Elkie Brooks version is the definitive one. Just hearing it so much when growing up sort of wasted it for me I think.