Monday 26 January 2009

Welcome! Living Leg-end




It was inevitable, I have tried to resist but have succumbed to posting about my favourite band, the band or rather lead singer, gang master, team manager, whatever who makes my wife's blood boil and my friends all shake their heads and look at me with pitying expressions.

There is absolutely no reason to do a post on the Fall other than being completely selfish. You, will be in one of 2 camps you will either love the Fall, in which case this post is pointless as you will already own this track and at least 30 of the 90 odd releases, or you will hate them and will not have read any further than the first sentence of this paragraph. One of the things I love about them is that there is no sitting on the fence, I can't recall anybody saying "yeah the Fall, they're alright".

By the time you have read this I will already have driven to Edinburgh for one of my infrequent appearances at my company's office. I will have struggled to get up at 6am, after what can only be described as a rather uplifting weekend. The Edwyn Collins gig on Friday night and the rest of the weekend spent doing absolutely nothing, just lounging about with the better half and the boys (that still sounds strange, boys plural).

On the 40 odd minute drive, a lot longer if left any later, what better than a piece of M.E.S. genius to get another week of to a pounding start.

The Fall - Blindness (Peel Session)

7 comments:

davyh said...

I may be the exception proving that rule that when it comes to The Fall you are either a 30+ album obsessive or a hater.

I have 'Kurious Orange' and 'Shiftwork' on LP; 'Code: Selfish' and the As and Bs collection on CD; 'Extricate' and 'The Frenz Experiment' on tape and 10 or 12 individual tracks as downloads. I have seen them live once (Brixton Academy, early 90s - very good).

I find much of their stuff inspired and some of it entirely unlistenable; MES always interesting and frequently very funny.

I've heard that book 'The Fallen' is good: have you read it?

drew said...

I always knew that you were in a class of your own Davy
The Fallen, is excellent, I recomend it, the best of the books about the Fall, but Hip Priest by Simon Ford is also very good.

davyh said...

Right. Well I'll wait till it's out in paperbok and/or available up at Oxfam and grab it, ta!

Ctelblog said...

Your poor, poor wife

davyh said...

But the question is...what is the best Fall album I do not have?

drew said...

Hex Enduction Hour but if I were you I would invest in the Peel Sessions. 6 cds, 92 tracks all for a very reasonable 13 quid at the moment.http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h__0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+fall+complete+peel+sessions&sprefix=the+fall+co

Unknown said...

I'm also kind of like Davy H....I've not bought all that much stuff by The Fall and yet I do inevitably enjoy them a lot of the time. I've made do with the CDs that bring together singles....