Wednesday 2 August 2017

Using My Youth To Sell Fiesta's. FFS!


via GIPHY

A few weeks ago I had a mini rant about advertisers appropriating northern soul tunes to sell all sorts of shit from grease filled protein to easy credit, And it's not just consigned to soul. I thought we had reached the low point when London Calling was used to sell air travel , although the use of that song had always only been a matter of time but no the vampires have now surpassed themselves using Loaded to sell fucking starter fucking motors first cars! How the hell does a song about total hedonism fit in with learning to drive?

Thanks a fucking lot you scumbags! All the memories I have wrapped up in the tune, like when I just got it and took it round to Stiff saying "you've got to listen to this it's amazing" and he looked at it and replied "fuck off, it's Primal Scream" and when finally persuaded to put it on the turntable he was blown away by the tune and it didn't leave the stereo in Hazel's mother's house for a week. Now when I play this I am going to have to try to block out the vision of an actress sitting in a car talking about "progress" when I should be remembering being wasted at five o'clock in the morning singing ba ba ba ba ba da while a bemused dog looks at me strangely.

Anyway, the story of Loaded is well documented and both the Weatherall and Farley mixes have been featured here so I thought that I would post the three  tunes that Weatherall sampled in his reconstruction of I'm Losing More Than I Ever Head, along with the vocal sample of Peter Fonda.

Firstly we have the drum sample which was lifted from an Italian bootleg of What I Am by Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians.

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - What I Am (bootleg).

Then we have the vocal sample "I don't Want To Lose Your Love"

The Emotions - I Don't Wanna Lose Your Love

and finally the horn sample which I was belting out to Barney all those years ago.



Not sure who I detest more, The Tory Party, the bankers or advertisers. It's a close call.

10 comments:

George said...

"The Tory Party, the bankers or advertisers."
No contest, Drew, it's the first in your list by many many a country kilometre. Do you actually have tv adverts in the UK now trying to sell starter motors? Or is your use of starter motors different to what I'm thinking about?

drew said...

What I meant was first car, but reading back it means something completely different!

George said...

That makes more sense.

Brian said...

Mixed emotions here. No commercial, no rant... and what a rant it was! Have been in your position with adverts so many times through the years. You can speak for me on the subject every time. As for your closing thought, I have read you long enough to know you listed those three hates in order.

Charity Chic said...

A splendid rant and objects of hatred in the correct order

The Swede said...

It's official - nothing is sacred. Quality rant Drew.

Anonymous said...

Just to be *that guy* - you've got the wrong Emotions track...

drew said...

Jesus, so I have. Thanks Anon. I really should proof-read this.

Swiss Adam said...

Quality stuff Drew. The use of music in ads no longer shocks me. Which is itself shocking.

Swiss Adam said...

I guess all the admen are our age.