Thursday 24 August 2017

Sister John - Returned From Sea



There are some albums that you know from the moment that the needle picks up the first bar or two of music are going to require your full attention for the duration. Return From Sea,  the debut album from Sister John is one such album. As soon as I heard the first notes of Thinner Air I I knew that I was going to have to park myself on the listening chair and focus. What followed was forty three minutes of lush, warm,  beautifully crafted songs that I think will be just perfect for the darkening evenings that are beginning to creep up on us. Although quite minimal in parts for example See You Again,  the sound is never cold, always quite comforting which is all the more surprising when you discover that the record was recorded in a tiny room off the kitchen where two of the band members reside, although this may account for the overall intimate feel of the album. I hate to put tags on music or say if you like such and such then you will like this but I think that anybody who is fond of well crafted music that you can immerse yourself in will love this album. At the moment my favourites are Sweetest Moment and Sister John's Dream but that will probably change tomorrow. Seriously this is one of my favourite releases of the year and there have been quite a few albums that I have loved so far.

The band are a four piece and consist of Amanda McKeown (Vocals/Guitar and songwriting), Jonathan Lilley (Guitar/Bass/Keyboards/Vocals). Heather Philips (Violin/Vocals) and Sophie Pragnell (Drums?Viola/Vocals) who met through the Parsonage Choir and kind of fell together as a band after being asked to perform at the Tron Theatre in Glasgow.

The album will be released on the Last Night From Glasgow label on the 15th September, a label that is consistent in releasing great music which is also beautifully packaged as only someone who loves the physical formats of music could design and produce, making each release that little bit more special. I'm not sure how many copies of the limited edition 180g vinyl edition are left but if you are quick you can order it here. There is also a two night launch party at the Hug and Pint on 14th/15th September which unfortunately are both sold out.

Sister John - Sweetest Moment

4 comments:

The Swede said...

Lovely, quite lovely. Thanks Drew.

Charity Chic said...

Now looking even more forward to the record and the gig Drew!

Charity Chic said...

Got my copy Drew - absolutely fantastic

drew said...

It is that CC, It gets better with each play.