Saturday 5 August 2017

Jersey Girl



A few weeks ago on the swansong post to CC's feature of Springsteen Vs The Rest he featured Springsteen with the Rigger boot firmly on the other foot with his cover of the sublime Tom Waits song Jersey Girl which took me back to early October last year when I found out in a tweet from Simon, who used to hang about this little corner of the internet, of the untimely death of Billy Franks an underrated and very under appreciated singer songwriter. The first song to come into my head obviously was Easter Parade but the next was a Youtube clip that I had stumbled upon a couple of years ago of Billy testing out a sound desk and the song he was singing was Jersey Girl which from the clip below you can see he really got into.

I really wish that I had had the pleasure of seeing Billy Franks perform live as by all accounts it was a near spiritual occasion which Davy H so eloquently described in a post on The Ghost Of Electricity here nearly nine years ago now.

5 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Davy H's post and his and Dick Van Dyke's comments highlight how sadly they are missed in this small corner of the internet

Rol said...

Great version.

Whatever happened to Dick Van Dyke? There was a time, he was my only regular reader!

drew said...

He was doing fine when I last was in touch Rol, getting there.

Rol said...

Good to hear.

Anonymous said...

Billy Franks "Sleep a Little Easy when it Rains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBTwLk8vbwg