Monday 17 March 2014

The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven



I spent a rather pleasant Saturday afternoon trying to put my boxes of soul 7" singles in some sort of order. This was after a visit to Darcy's bit where he mentioned that he had just completed this task. I failed in my task and ended up just playing random singles. I did manage to put the Reggae/Rock n Roll/Garage box in order but that only holds around 100 and is only 3/4 full.

Anyway, while searching through the boxes I found quite a few 45s that I had yet to rip to the hard drive and so spent a further relaxing afternoon yesterday uploading tracks to iTunes.

Here is one of the singles that I found. "The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven" is a rather lovely soul ballad. Written, produced and the first single released on Van McCoy's Vando label in 1967.

Apologies for the background noise, although the vinyl looks near mint it does have quite a bit of surface noise.

Chris Bartley - The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven

7 comments:

ally. said...

oh well if it has surface noise i might as well not bother i mean i just can't abide the stuff...
x

george said...

Another excellent song. You've put some absolute belters on these mondays. More please. Someone might download it and burn onto a cd......

drew said...

Cheers George. I have another couple of brilliant tracks coming up, so keep checking.

drew said...

Ally - can't abide the stuff myself, which is a bit of a problem when for favourite singles are all over 40 yrs old.

Simon said...

Never heard this before, which doesn't happen very often.

Can't stand the noise of vinyl. Dust and pops and crackles and scratches. Never liked it. CDs were a dream for me.

Anonymous said...

Lovely - very "shades of Temptations" - only a serious vinyl collector could understand how we tune out those "crackles and pops."

Marie

Darcy said...

This one is my collection too. Not sure about the amount of surface noise, will have to dig it out. It's funny - this had it's moment when it was new to me and I had the thrill of owning it, now it's just another record filed in a box. I need to give it, and many others in these boxes, another spin or two and enjoy them all over again.