Sunday 2 March 2014

Mellow Sunday



This blog is not well know for it's high end culture in fact that is most definitely the first time that that phrase has been used around here. But today you are in for a shock as I post a tune (if that's what you call it, according to wiki it's a movement) that is so far out of my comfort zone that it is practically in another galaxy.

The first time I heard this astoundingly beautiful and moving  piece of music was on Sunday the 09th January 2005.  The reason I know this is not due to my amazing memory but as a result of consulting the BBC website, as that is the day that the eight discs of one time SAS trooper now incredibly rich author of appalling fiction Andy McNabb was on Desert Island Discs. I listened to McNabb with more than a little cynicism as I had read, Bravo Two Zero,  The One That Got Away and Michel Asher's book which purports to tell the true story behind the fuck-up but all this is by the by. When The Swan came over the airwaves it stopped me in my tracks and nearly took my breath away (you want cliches worse than that read McNabb's books). When it was finished I made a note of the name and searched the internet for it. Apparently the author's fifth! wife plays it on the cello.

I am not going to bullshit you about me knowing anything about Le cygne if you want to know more go here. I just think as I said above that it is one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music I've ever heard.

See Me See Culture!

Yo-Yo Ma - The Swan

1 comment: