Monday 10 August 2009

GDMFSOB



I have avidly collected the works of Josh Davis since the first time I heard In Flux which was also my introduction to Mo Wax, James Lavelle and the whole headz culture which I eagerly embraced.

There is something about collages made from snatches of dialogue, samples, laid back beats and turntablism that floats my boat. I can got lost in these strung out, cinematic odysseys and long ago stopped trying to spot the samples.

The one thing about DJ Shadow is that every so often he does something that once you listen to it makes perfect sense but on first hearing of, you think, what is he up to? This was what went through my head when I first got my hands on Mashin' On The Motorway and noticed that the main track was a collaboration with Roots Manuva. However after listening to the track it was such an obvious pairing, the pre-eminent turntablist and the UK's best and most unorthodox rapper.

If you get the chance check out his mix cd with Cut Chemist, Brainfreeze, another venture which on hindsight is exactly what he should have done.

GDMFSOB would possibly have been the phrase I would have uttered when the alarm went off this morning, if I resided on the West Coast of the USA as opposed to west central Scotland where we just say, shit!

DJ Shadow - GDMFSOB (UNKLE uncensored)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing track Drew, I've got it already but thanks for reminding me!

5 star tune!

Great blog as always...

Andrew

Jon said...

Great blog! I'll add you to our blogroll...

Simon said...

I don't know what it is, but I've never gotten into DJ Shadow. I've tried, I've sat there and listened, sober, drunk, stoned. Nothing. One of my best mates loves him, raves about Endtroducing as one of the greatest albums of all time, but it just doesn't hit me. I may have another go one day, because it's one of those mysteries of my life, I like so many things that sit alongside it that it's just odd not to be moved by it.

chocolategirl64 said...

GDMF is played loud in my haven ~ usually when I'm in rebellious mode or someone has riled me

Saw Shadow live and I wasn't disappointed *I was prepared to be* but one gig satiated my need

Burial fills my boots these days d--b

drew said...

Cheers Andrew and Jon.

Simon - give him another bash, especially the Brainfreeze mix.

Chocolategirl64 - quite partial to a bit of Burial myself.