Wednesday 27 January 2016

Trouble In The World



I first heard Another Girl Another Planet when I was either 11 or twelve , so it would have been 1980/1981 courtesy of Tank, Stiff oldest brother and I instantly fell in love with the song,  the soaring guitars . the languid vocal delivery and the words which really chimed all made it an essential record to own but by then it was nigh on impossible to get a hold of, just two or three years after it's release. How did we survive pre Discogs?

Even though I loved Another Girl,  Another Planet it was years before I listened to anything else by the Only Ones. I picked up my copy of Trouble In The World in 1987 at a record stall in the Barras. Although not on a par with AGAP the fourth single by the band is a very good "new wave" or "power pop" if you prefer record. It was quite a few years later that I actually got round to listening to a full album by the band when Stiff gave me a copy of the second album, Even Serpents Shine (terrible cover) which I really rate that in turn led me to the eponymous first album which is even better,

The Only Ones - Trouble In The World

5 comments:

The Swede said...

One of my all-time favourite bands and ripe fodder for an entry in JC's Imaginary Compilation Album series I reckon. But, oh dear. I'd forgotten the wash of synths and terribly naff overdubbed backing vocals on the single mix of 'Trouble in the World'. Such a great great song, but give me the 'Baby's Got a Gun' version anyday.

drew said...

Never heard the version from Baby's Got A Gun, Swede. Is the third album worth getting a hold of then?

Brian said...

An all timer for me, Drew. Another great song introduced to me on the That Summer soundtrack, also at a very young age. If I did karaoke, this is the one I would pick. Love the accent and the lyrics. Whoa-ho!

The Swede said...

Absolutely Drew. While it's their least essential album overall and features a couple of fairly lightweight throwaways, the good stuff is very very good indeed.
The odds'n'sods round up 'Remains' has some great moments too.

Dirk said...

the live - album from a few years ago is recommendable too, I'd say ...