Tuesday 7 February 2012

Vinyl Time



Picture the scene, it's Saturday just before noon, the breakfast dishes are done and the kitchen cleared up. Number one son is away with the better half fucking up packing some poor unfortunate's shopping in the aid of school funds. Leo is sitting at the "pooter" watching Remembrance Of The Daleks which will keep him engrossed for as long as I let him sit in front of the thing.

So,  I find myself at a loose end with nothing to do. Well there is the washing machine to load, the hoovering to be done and a few other things that I could be doing but nothing urgent.

During these rare occasions I retreat to the dinning room and put on something that I have not got round to listening to or something that I haven't listened to in ages.  It will always be on vinyl, as well,  it just feels right that when I've got the time I sit down and give an album the attention it deserves moving only the once to flip over the vinyl. After which I will go back to whatever mundane tasks need to be done happy in the knowledge that I have just listened to something the way it was intended to be listened to,  no skipping, shuffling or repeating.

On Saturday I found myself in a quandry. I had the urge to hear Pissing On Bonfires/Kissing With Tongues but that would mean playing a cd and this was 'Vinyl Time'. I decided that as I could not think of anything else I wanted to hear more, I would break the rules this once. I did toy with the idea of playing All Creatures Will Make Merry as this was re-released on lovely red vinyl last year but no, Pissing On Bonfires it had to be.

And for the next thirty eight and a bit minutes I sat on my chair and immersed myself in what is still  an amazing listen even after being heard by these ears tons of times. It feels as fresh now as it did when I first purchased it on a whim and waited ages for it to come.

If there are any of you out there that don't own a copy of this absolute gem get yourself over to Song By Toad pronto and purchase it and as much of the label's back catalogue as you can afford. Then mibbe one day they will be able to afford to do for Meursault's debut what they did for the follow up and release it on vinyl which would spare me the dilema of breaking the rules of 'Vinyl Time'.

Meursault - a small stretch of land

3 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Great post Drew.

davyh said...

Seconded.

Here's to Vinyl Time (and I love that picture).

drew said...

Thanks guys.

It took me ages to find a picture of a 1200 with the same cartridge as mine!