Saturday 23 October 2010

Keeping It Peel, Number 3



As I've said before the first time I heard the cacophony that was the early Jesus And Mary Chain sound it was one of those "what the fuck is that " moments. I would love to be able to say that that first time was on the Peel show, however for some reason it wasn't I don't know why because as far as I can remember I was listening to the show at the back end of 1984 but my abiding memory of hearing Upside Down for the first time was on a tape that a friend gave me.

The third session, however does stick in my mind as it totally threw me. Was this the same band that I had been listening to continually?  Gone was the feedback replaced with jangly acoustic guitars, surely not.  But it was and it was glorious. It showed that the band were no one trick pony and that beneath all of that feedback and pseudo violence there were actually some rather pretty pop songs.

The Mary Chain would go on to record another 3 sessions for the Peel Show, however for me session three stands head and shoulders above the others.

Session recorded 29th October 1985 and aired 11th November 1985.

Tracklisting: Some Candy Talking, Psycho Candy, You Trip Me Up, Cut Dead

The Jesus And Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up

6 comments:

Scott said...

Great choice - even on the original of You Trip Me Up under the feedback you could always hear what a great pop song it was.Enjoying the series - a fitting tribute to the great man.

Mondo said...

I never got The Mary Chain, I was in a band at the time and remember thinking we're making a better racket than that. Although there was an early 90s tune that hit the spot for me

drew said...

But Mondo, did you write anything as good as Just Like Honey, or Upside Down?

drew said...

Scott, thanks

Swiss Adam said...

Their peel Session comp cd is one of my favourites, quality all the way through

shitboyfriend said...

i had real trouble picking favourite peel session tracks, so much ridiculously good stuff...

pyschocandy for me was one of the few albums that ever managed to meet all the expectations that trailed it...

and - another great series of posts, thanks...