Friday 12 March 2010

It's Friday . . . Let's Dance



I'm not sure how much longer this series of early House tracks will go on for but it has been fun digging out the 12 inch singles and I have been shocked by how dated some of the tracks sound now and pleasantly surprised by others which I thought would have dated badly but actually still sound great,  transporting me back to when I really didn't have a care in the world, apart from unemployment, Thatcher, the cold war and the prospect of Mutually Assured Destruction, so nothing really that important.

Rok Da House was one of those twelves that I picked out thinking that there was no way that it would even sound half decent after 23 years (jesus!). But I think that it holds up pretty well.

The Beatmasters were a British production trio who had quite a bit a few hits during the late 80's in collaboration with the likes of P.P. Arnold, Yazz, Betty Boo and on this, their first single,  with British female hip-hop duo the Cookie Crew; producing a track which I think invented one of the first sub genres of House, Hip-House.

The track was released in late 1987 and climbed the UK charts reaching number 5 in early 1988.

The Beatmasters feat The Cookie Crew - Rok Da House

1 comment:

Kippers said...

Great stuff. I went through a Cookie Crew phase for about five minutes in 1987. Think I must've seen them on Def II or something.