Wednesday 7 October 2009

True Blue




No this has nothing today with one half of the bigots of the old firm. Although I was worried that it may be appropriated by that mob when I first heard it until I remembered that most of them thought that the parodies of themselves that Cher and Tina Turner turned into in the 80s and 90s was more Rangers supporters idea of good music than Bright Eyes.

Neither does it have anything to do with Thatcher and her true blue meanies.

Conor Oberst evokes strong feelings in a lot of people what with his ill thought out remarks on John Peel, his air of petulance and the references to being the latest in a long line of new Dylan's.

Bright Eyes first came to my attention when I heard Lua from the then, forthcoming 5th album I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, which is quite simply a beautiful track so I bought the album and the 6th when they were released on the same day in January 2005, there wasn't much else that came out that month. I loved both, although quite different and within a couple of weeks had bought the back catalogue courtesy of Fopp and the 5 quid cds. Does anybody else miss the days when Fopp was still Fopp?

I have not kept up with Oberst's solo stuff or his latest incarnation as one quarter of The Monsters of Folk.

True Blue was the b-side of First Day Of My Life which was the second single from I'm Wide Awake It's Morning.

Bright Eyes - True Blue

Bright Eyes - Lua

5 comments:

chocolategirl64 said...

Monsters of Folk is the bomb!
skim over the acheybreakywesternbaby and sail away with M Wards gravelled tones and Jim James .... it's the way that he sings
^_^

Simon said...

Strangely I've been listening to these this past week. Sounds damn good at 6am on the train into London...

drew said...

I may have to check the album out then chocolategirl64, as I'm quite partial to a bit of Jim James.

drew said...

Simon - Lua would be quite appropriate for that time in the morning, have been traveling at that time myself this week as I've had to go into the office everyday apart from today.

Unknown said...

I knew this song from a truly stunning Conor Oberst/GillIan Welch duet on the Dark Was The Night charity Cd from earlier this year. Didnt realise it was a sort of cover....