Monday 5 November 2012

America, You Decide.



I've been thinking about this for a while and thought that I might as well share it.

Who the fuck am I, or anybody else who does not live in the USA to tell people there how to vote? What gives us the right to decide who should or shouldn't be the resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for the next four years? I am no fan of the Republican Party, what I know about them but then again I'm not over sold on Obama either. From what I can see, he hasn't made good on many of the promises he made, Guantanamo Bay for a start. He did try to give some sort of universal health care to all citizens which I think is a good thing but a lot of Americans liken to Communism? I think they are mad but again it's their decision, I don't have to live there.

I spent a good portion of my youth protesting about having American nuclear missiles on these shores. Or marching against American involvement in Central America or the Middle East. I think that I had a right to do so which you may think is odd after the statement I have made above. But I never ever said that I was consistent.

But my point is this,  I got mightily pissed off at Secretary Of State Clinton when she tried to tell us what we in Scotland should have done with Abdel Baset al-Megrahi, irrespective of whether the decision made by Kenny MacAskill was the correct one,  I think that it was the proper thing to do but for another nation to intervene in that decision and then try to summon our First Minister over there to explain himself, well,  it just got me pure raging and entrenched my view.

So, if I were an American voter who was undecided or maybe just not that arsed about voting,  being told that the rest of the world apart from China were backing Obama, it may just urge me to get up of my arse go and vote and vote in a way that gives a big fuck you to the rest of the world, which let's face it most Republicans think is populated by liberal ass wipes anyway (sweeping generalisation I know).

So tomorrow it will be up to the people of America to vote for who they want to govern them and maybe we should lay off trying to tell them what's right as it might just be having the opposite effect from the one we want to see.

A word of warning, if you do vote for the wrong guy and things go tits up you will get really sick hearing "I told you so" for the next four years

His Latest Flame - America Blue




13 comments:

Someone Said said...

It's been a brutal election cycle. In Ohio we're being assaulted by advertising from all sides. I can't wait for it all to be over. I doubt the sides that does not get enough votes will chill out and lick their wounds. There will be more shouting. More obstruction. There are some who want nothing to be done. I'm not sure where I stand anymore, but I'm fed up with the entire system

drew said...

Someone said - it seems to have been a rather bitter and very expensive campaign!

Someone Said said...

It's said that six billion dollars has been spent by these two. Great for the stations that broadcast these ads, bad for those who watch them.

Walter said...

You took the words out of my mouth. I was just trying to make a post of the same theme. I have gained the same experience in the 80s and were out on the streets to protest against the American politics. Nevertheless, in the interim I have another perception which lies of possible manner with my age. But you're right - I totally forgot how Ms. Clinton tried to rule the Scottish population. Anyway the election will end - the American people will get what they vote.62

dickvandyke said...

Vote Sturdy Girl.

B.b.d.G. said...

The difference is the outcome of the US election has a massive effect on our lives in Europe, whereas the effect anything that happens in Scotland (or even the UK) has very little effect in Washington.

drew said...

BbdG - I'm not sure why that allows me to tell somebody in the mid-west whom I don't know and who's circumstances will be totally different from mine that he should vote in such a way because that's what's good for the rest of the world?

dickvandyke said...

Would Elmer in Pensylvania tell you who should be the next Scotland manager? I think not.

dickvandyke said...

2-1 eh. Blimey

Someone Said said...

Gosh I hope it's Strachan.

drew said...

dvd - we at least have one half decent time in the country and as for Elmer, I don't think anybody could tell us who our next manager is going to be, the phrase poisoned chalice springs to mind!

Someone Said - that would be good at least the press conferences would be entertaining i not the game on th pitch but I don't think that he could be bothered with the hassle.

Jen said...

:-) I used to hang out in Glasgow with Laura(the bass player's) brother, Roberto Mazzolini!
Completely forgot about this. Damn I am very nostalgic now :)

drew said...

Jen - I love His Latest Flame, was listening to In The Neighbourhood last weekend