Friday 22 June 2012

Turning Rebellion Into Money!!




Well it has happened.

When Stiff and I discussed the prospect over a year ago, I truly believed that it couldn't possibly happen that it was just plane (sic) wrong but Stiff said "mark my words before August next year London Calling will be used to advertise something and it will be totally inappropriate".

And so it has come to pass! B fucking A of all people, B bloody A. I hope you are fucking happy Jones, I hope it was worth it. For one of yours and Joe's finest moments to be devalued in such a way and forever to be associated with Willie fucking Walsh, that most enlightened of CEOs.

I could have coped with hearing it all over the BBC's trailers for the games, just but would probably not played the record for six months maybe a year, however now I feel that it is tainted just another product for sale at the right price. Maybe I am being ridiculous but that is how I feel.

As Stiff said, it was inevitable but it does not make it right.

If you have not seen the advert yet, here for one last time before it becomes soiled forever is one of the Clash's no bugger that rock music's finest three and a bit minutes.

Fuck you Mick Jones!

The Clash - London Calling

13 comments:

ally. said...

if topper and paul are getting a couple of quid then that's fine by me and jones's public library thing means he's as near beyond criticism as it's possible to be for me. here's to not watching telly and laughing at the daft apath that thinks london calling is a song to associate with your airline
x

drew said...

It's not right Ally

dickvandyke said...

Perhaps Take That will cover Offshore Banking Business?

Enjoy the weekend bonny lad

davyh said...

I liked Danny Baker's tweet about this...

Yes! The Clash on an advert! Ha! God I've been alive a long time. #ThroughTheLookingGlassNowPeople

Swiss Adam said...

I agree with all of you. It's not right, its wrong but its the nature of the world. Can't believe its not been used before to be honest. And Mick's done so well recently. Blame the admen. Wankers

George said...

Unfortunately it seems to be the way. I find it infinitely more distressing that a track from the fantastic Pet Sounds is used on adverts..

g. said...

Alas Ally it'll only be Jones and Strummer's estate that see the loot (as they have the writing credits) - poor old Topper and Simonon shafted again....

g.

btw: I emailed you some tunes Ally - did your email spam 'em?

Simon said...

I hardly watch commercial tv. Even then it's normally recorded so I forward through any adverts. So this won't even touch the sides in my house.

Shame it's the same year as the tenth anniversary of Joe's death though. Still Jones has form in this so the only real surprise is that it's taken so long.

drew said...

Simon - I don't think it would have happened if Strummer was still alive.

A Dashing Blade said...

110% with you on this one, but, from a quick poll at work, it's an "unless you were there you don't gettit" argument.

TH said...

The Clash were always more about image than reality. Signed to major label CBS and then spent a lot of time biting the hand that fed them. They sang I'm So Bored With The USA and then fucked off to The States to make money.Should I Stay Or Should I Go- was used by Levis to sell jeans in the early 90's anyway. Still a great band though.

drew said...

TPH - I remember "Should I wear my jeans or no now" but tht really didn't matter as much as I never really rated the track. London Calling is a different kettle of fish and to be used in such a crass manner, now they would have something to say about it as they were quite vociferious about the Clash back in the day, really leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure if expected meltdowns and ice ages are the kind of images you want being portrayed if you are in the avation industry, but I'm not in advertising.

But I take your point about image over reality.

It just really angered me that something else that I hold dear was cheapened by some twat that known no fucking better and that Jones sanctioned it.

drew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.