Wednesday 22 March 2017

Guess Where I'm Going on Friday?



So there I was sat at my desk on Monday afternoon procrastinating and thinking of making my upteenth up of tea of the day when my own phone pings, not the work one, so at least I'm interested enough to look and I see that it's a text from JC, "Wanting to firm up the plans for Friday" I think, as we are supposed to be meeting up for beers, that have been way too long in the planning, so I pick up the phone and well to say that the text made my Monday would be a slight understatement, made my week, definitely and most probably my month unless something else amazing happens in the next 10 days. The text is actually cancelling our pints on Friday night which is not the good part, the good bit is that JC has been offered a ticket for the Friday night at The Barrowlands for the 6Music Festival and he was wondering if I wanted first refusal on it! He's that kind of guy is JC, he's offered the chance to see Sleaford Mods/Warpaint/Ride and the Mary Chain at the best music venue on the planet and he thinks that somebody else would appreciate it more. It took me about 10 seconds to reply to the text confirming that I would indeed like the ticket. I had tried on the Friday that they were released to get some but with no luck and had resigned myself to listening to the gig on the radio, or what coverage there was.

Now I know some of you will be saying what about your no going to see reformed bands rule Drew? Well I will hold up my hands and confess to being a hypocrite this time,  mostly due to Swiss Adam's positive review of the Psychocandy tour and also the couple of mates who saw the Reids at the Barras then who also said that they were a hell of a lot better than they expected and it wasn't just a nostalgia fest. So you can slag me all you want I'm not caring and I also get to see Warpaint who I have been told are very good live. I was never that into Ride but interested to find out how they sound these days too. Unfortunately I won't be there early enough to see Sleaford Mods which is a bit of a pisser but unavoidable.

I am nearly as excited about this gig as something else that is happening the first weekend in May that will be mentioned shortly here and at other affiliated sites I suspect.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Kill Surf City

7 comments:

The Swede said...

Pleased for you Drew - what a nice fella that JC is. Both Ride and JAMC have new albums to push though, so surely this fact negates your self-imposed 'reformed band/nostalgia fest' rule? Have a crackin' evening. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Dirk said...

Hmmmh ... to say I'm jealous of you would be the understatement of the year!

Enjoy, enjoy ...

Swiss Adam said...

Wow. That sounds rather good. Enjoy. I'm seeing JAMC (again) on Saturday night in Mcr. Ride (probably) and Warpaint (definitely) make it a good night out. Well done JC.

Anonymous said...

That sounds great for you. And a reminder, as if one was needed, of JC being such a nice man

Brian said...

Green with envy. Should be quite a show. The Swede makes a good point. In my book, your integrity is still intact.

Jake Sniper said...

I'm both pleased for you and further gutted that me and Mrs Sniper failed to get tickets to any of it. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes,have fun Drew

Jez said...

I caught both the Mary Chain and Ride recently; the sound at the Mary Chain gig was awful and spoiled it (although my brother insisted it was exactly how it was "back in the day"; a mate of mine saw them at the same venue the night before I did, and then elsewhere a week or so later and confirmed my suspicions) and Ride were frankly amazing. You'll have a blast at either one or both. Enjoy!