Friday 8 April 2011

It's Friday . . Let's Dance



Today's track is for those of you who remember XL as the edgier off shoot of City Beat Records releasing rave tracks by the likes of SL2 and The Prodigy and not the home of soul lite Brit school alumni and American Indie Rock.

At the time I was not really into the Rave scene, preferring, throbbing epic tracks with huge baselines which frequently lasted over ten minutes over the in yer face 100mph, sped up vocal sample stuff with the rudimentary keyboard riffs, but now and again one of these tracks would agree with me and every so often I would go nuts for a track.  The tune posted falls into the latter category.

I don't know how many times I have played this 12" over the years but it has to be in high treble figures which will become apparent when you hear the crackles on the rip. But I have never tired of this tune and it always produces a huge grin on my coupon as soon as those breakbeats start and when the dum dum dum dum dum da dum drops 36 seconds in I'm in heaven and pretty much stay there for the duration and once it's over I usually have to play it again.

I'm not sure if it's because of the use of the riff and vocal sample purloined from Ce Ce Rogers Someday that makes me love the track as much as I do. I remember the first time I heard it, I tried my damnedest to hate it, thinking that it was totally out of order lifting bits from that Marshall Jefferson produced classic but could do nothing but dance and grin like a demented Cheshire Cat and knew that I had to have it.

For me the breakbeats, that unmistakable piano riff and the vocal sample encapsulate the madness and the sheer joy of the dance scene during 1992 in 4:22 seconds better than any other record of that year.

Have a good weekend people.

Liquid - Sweet Harmony

4 comments:

Colin said...

I really was taking the wrong kind of drugs back then, I think. Never really 'got' this kind of music. It just left me cold. My loss, I am sure...

drew said...

The drugs really weren't necessary, in my case anyway, great when you had them but by this time the E was tainted so didn't really indulge anymore.

davyh said...

I may have been on antihistamines, does that count?

Anonymous said...

Antihistamines? Wicked buzz! Nice One! Sorted!