Thursday 18 January 2018

I Love You (Listen To This)



The opening lines of this song has always reminded me of I Want You by Bob Dylan especially the live version from the Budokan album. It doesn't detract from the fact that I Love You (Listen to this) is a very good track in it's own right but I can't help but think of Dylan for the first thirty seconds or so. The song was originally on the third and my favourite Dexy's album Don't Stand Me Down and is also the shortest track on the album. This live version comes from the Duke of York concerts in April 2013. It was also the b-side of the 7" single that I was lucky enough to get when I went to see the documentary of the film of those shows as I had pre-booked my tickets. A documentary that Stiff very nearly missed as I stood arguing with the girl at the Forge that the film was definitely on there until the penny dropped and I realised my mistake, the Fort not the bloody Forge! We then had to try and navigate through the East End of Glasgow, most of which was closed off for the rehearsals for the opening of the Commonwealth Games which was taking place that very same night, We took our seats just as the opening credits started rolling.

Dexys - I Love You (Listen To This) Live Duke of Yorks Theatre.

Listen for yourself and see if I'm talking pish

B D - I Want You

6 comments:

The Swede said...

Blimey, you're not wrong drew.

Unknown said...

Kevin did pinch a riff "Werewolves of London" (released 40 years ago today I suppose you all know) for one track on Don't Stand Me Down, so you may be right. Yours pedantically, Lynchie xxx

Brian said...

We all know Kevin took from everyone, including a friend and ex-member of his band. Yet, I love him and the music anyway. Cool that you got one of those singles, Drew.

George said...

I prefer the Dylan original to the Dexy's cover.......

Swiss Adam said...

Yep, you're right. A clever person could do a decent mash up.

JC said...

Knowing you and Stiff, I'm picturing that scene in my head and pissing myself laughing.

As the others have said, great spot Drew. I hear it more on the live version than I do on the original studio take.