Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Good They Die Young



I've had this song running around my head for a while now.

Abraham, Martin and John is an ode to four of the leaders of social change in the USA and who also all happened to be assassinated for their efforts. It was written by Dick Holler in the wake of Martin Luther King and  Bobby Kennedy's shootings in 1968. There is huge sadness in Dion's delivery, a singer better known for the likes of The Wanderer and Runaround Sue.

The song has been covered by a variety of singers from Marvin Gaye to Andy Williams. Wilson Pickett recorded a version of the song, changing the title to Cole, Cooke and Redding in tribute to Nat King Cole, Sam Cooke and Otis Redding and with lyrics relevant to the three great singers but for me it just doesn't do either the song or his subjects justice and is not a patch on William Bell's Tribute To A King.

Dion - Abraham, Martin and John

6 comments:

davyh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
davyh said...

There's a great piece on Dion and this song here

Jase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jase said...

Davyh, nice link. Bob Stanley of St Etienne's blog I see! Added to favourites...

Dion has had such a varied career, didn't he do an album with Phil Spector too? I must check out more of his stuff...

Phil Spector said...

Man! I love this song! I love Dion! I had no idea Dion did this song!

Cheers!

drew said...

Cheers Davy

Jase - he did do and very good it is too.

PS - Glad to be of service