Thursday 14 December 2017

The Tracks of My Year



Yip it's back, the most self-indulgent post of the year, the new tracks by which I mean the ones released over the past 12 months that I have been playing the most and are therefore my favourites of the year. This list does not include any of the garage/psych which I really got back into this year and if the truth be told became slightly obsessed with. It is about time that somebody wrote a trainspotter type book regarding this music but I digress.

Back to 2017 then, in the previous eight years that I have compiled this list only one person has featured on every one and it would be incredibly stupid of me if I missed him out this year.  In fact he has been so prolific that he could have filled half of this table easily but I limited Mr Weatherall's contributions to five, one original and four remixes which proved to be an extremely difficult task. Jamie xx/The xx only missed the first year and that was due to my late bandwagon jumping with them that didn't happen until early 2010 but a remix by Jamie xx of his band ensures their entry this year. As for the top spot, I honestly cannot decide between either of these instrumental Wedding Present tracks, one day Northern Ireland is the one, with its frantic tempo that eventually slows and then those wonderful horns, just about perfect and the next it's the almost mournful beginning of Scotland that grabs me and keeps me enthralled til the end and sends me home with that familiar feeling of almost glorious defeat that anybody that follows the national team can identify with, wonderful stuff. Even the Mick Head album hasn't spent as long on the turntable as this 12" single but that is due to the Home International ep coming out in April whereas Adios Senor Pussycat was the middle of October.

I would like to make special mention to Elizabeth Morris' new project Elva. Tailwind has such a beautiful laid back vibe but why is Morris not the lead voca

1.  The Wedding Present -  - Northern Ireland/Scotland
3.  Kamasi Washington - Truth
4.  Michael Head and The Red Elastic Band - What's The Difference (it could be any or all the tracks)
5.  The Jesus and Mary Chain - Always Sad
6.  Elva - Tail Wind
7.  The Regrettes - Seashore
8.  Phil Kieran Find Love (Weatherall mix)
9.  K.H. - ?
10. Mogwai - Crossing The Road Material
11. Hannah Peel - The Planet of Passed Souls
12. Mark Lanegan - Beehive (Andrew Weatherall mix)
13. Meursault - I Will Kill Again
14. Sister John - The Sweetest Moment
15. Go Home Productions - Girl Wants (To Say Goodbye To) Rock n Roll
16, Afghan Whigs - Arabian Heights
17. Nick & Brit - I Try
18, Siobhan Wilson - Whatever Helps
19. Bicep - Glue
20. Four Tet - SW9 9SL
21. Andrew Weatherall - Between Stations
22. The Charlatans - Different Days (Chris & Cosey mix)
23. The xx - On Hold (Jamie xx remix)
24. Luxembourg Signal - Laura Palmer
25. D_troit - Soul Sound System
26. Brian Jonestown Massacre - Groove Is In The Heart
27. Early Years - Fluxus (Xam remix)
28. Armando - 100% Dissin' You (Chabia + Jeff Solo edit)
29. Nomad - Devotion (Pangaea edit)
30. Jagwar Ma - Give Me A Reason (Michael Mayer Does The Amoeba mix)
31. The Just Joans - No Longer Young Enough
32. Best Picture - Isabelle
33. Night Beats - - Sunday Mourning (Jono Ma remix)
34. Goldie - Inner City Life (2017 rebuild)
35. Roger Waters - Deja Vu
36. Confidence Man - Bubblegum (Andrew Weatherall mix)
37. Burial - Pre Dawn
38. Warpaint - White Out
39. Curtis Harding On And On
40. The Sexual Objects - Sometimes







 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you post the Goldie track tomorrow as it's Friday? Please.
Swc

Anonymous said...

Also I'm here what's number 2?

drew said...

number 1 and 2 are the Wedding Present tunes. Which version of Goldie do you want his or the Burial refit?

Swiss Adam said...

Plenty of goodies in there Drew.

Brian said...

I'm only about 50-50 on songs I have heard versus not heard. Going to make my way through these this weekend. Having said that, there are plenty from your list that will be on mine as well, including Elva, the Regrettes, Just Joans, Michael Head and Luxembourg Signal. I was trying to think about what you picked up at Mono that day we visited Stephen... was it Slowdive?

drew said...

Slowdive and Mark Lanegan Brian. I still wish I had picked up that Breakfast Muff 7"

Brian said...

I expect to see that on Adam’s list.

Echorich said...

Excellent list! You have a few in your 40 that just missed my 50. I'm going to do my thing and draw mine out over 5 days just before the New Year. I am very curious about a few mixes I wasn't aware of or haven't heard yet, so thank for all of this Drew!!

Chris said...

That Curtis Harding album is so underrated, glad to see a song from it made your top 40
Haven't listened to new Wedding Present, but loved the song Bear from 2016's Going, Going LP

Swiss Adam said...

I forgot about Breakfast Muff.

drew said...

Invest in The Home Internationals ep Chris you won't regret it.