Monday 22 September 2014

Pass The Hatchet



A couple of weeks ago I put up a youtube clip of Nick Waterhouse's live rendition of Pass The Hatchet and said that I would post the original later. So here it is in it's full glory both parts 1 and 2.

Pass The Hatchet was the first record to be released on New Orleans label Seven B. The rather sparse vocals are the dulcet tones of Eddie Bo. The track had already been completed when he added his yelps and exclamations. Roger & the Gypsies  were actually Earl Stanley and The Stereos incognito.

The original single is as rare as hens teeth, my copy comes from the excellent Jazzman 3x7" comp that came out in 2012 which I bought initially for the flip side of this single "From This Day On" also by Eddie Bo that I had first heard on the DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist mix  Brainfreeze. The set is well worth seeking out as all of six tracks are essential.

Roger & The Gypsies - Pass The Hatchet

No comments: