Friday 10 August 2012

It's Friday . . . Let's Dance +



When the Dust Brothers changed their name to The Chemical Brothers, I thought at the time, what a pish name but over the years the name has kind of grown on me and it didn't do Tom and Ed's career any harm into the bargain.

The duo are along with Orbital and Underworld  probably the three best practitioners of "dance music" who became huge but didn't dilute their product to make it accessible to the mass market. Sure, there were the guest vocals by Gallagher, Gillespie, Sumner to mention but three but those didn't feel like conscious attempt  to appeal to those who didn't get dance music.

Okay, they are held responsible for the whole Big Beat fad but a lot of good records did come out of that scene as well as the pish.

My favourite track has to be The Private Psychedelic Reel which has been featured before, so here is a belter of a single from 1999.

Have a good weekend people.

The Chemical Brothers -  Hey Boy, Hey Girl

3 comments:

Simon said...

I love The Chems. I love the energy of their records, they snap and crackle and pop in a way a lot of other dance music doesn't. I also loved a lot of the Big Beat stuff too, those big compressed drum loops that filled most of those tunes used to send my head skyward. And they're still making decent music now, which is no mean feat, considering how dance music used to get slagged as throwaway. They've had a better career than almost all the guitar bands from the time.

davyh said...

Hallelujah yes to 'The Private Psychedelic Reel' and Beth Orton and 'Where Do I Begin' preceding it, my my.

Anonymous said...

agree on MPPR. But Swoon comes awful close these days.

ctel